Popplet is a hugely popular mind-mapping tool which enables teachers and students to visually represent and organise information using text, hyperlinks, images, and sticky notes (popples). Available as a web application (beta, via subscription) and iPad app, Popplet is remarkably simple to use, and is suitable for all ages.
Popplet requires a free account (we’d suggest creating class / group accounts for students), and completed ‘popplets’ can be saved as JPG or PDF files, embedded into web pages, or shared via Twitter, Facebook, and Email. Printed popplets make great classroom displays.
If using as a web app, teachers may be interested in the Popplet Education Licensing scheme.
For: Teachers, Students (Early Childhood through to Secondary)
Cost: Popplet Lite is free, but we highly recommend the full featured Popplet app, which is available for $5.49AUD (Download Link). The full app allows users to sync Popplets across devices and the web.
Requires WiFi: No, but required to obtain images from online sources.
- Create curriculum plans, mind maps, shared bulletin boards, scrapbooks, photo galleries,
- Remember, organise and comprehend new information
- Map concepts and create timelines
- Use to assist note-taking and planning for writing
- Enable real-time student collaboration via shared ‘popples’ – on iPads / iPad and web.
- Use Popplet as a presentation tool (Click here for details)
- Click here for more creative ideas
- Popplet Blog: Poppletrocks, and you can follow @poppletny on Twitter.
- Popplet: The educative presentation, mind mapping, and bulletin board platform
- Some creative Ideas for Using Popplet in the Classroom
- iPads can’t improve learning without good teaching Pt 2 – Writing
- Collaborative Brainstorming with Popplet